Do you know what the common jewellery lengths are? Or more importantly, do you know which
ones are the right or best lengths for you? Today I’m going to discuss what the most common
lengths are for both bracelets and necklaces, along with how to choose the right size necklace or
bracelet for you.
What Are the Common Jewellery Lengths for Necklaces?
First up, let’s look at the length of women’s necklaces. There are six main types of necklace styles,
each with their own length, the area they rest upon and the item of clothing they suit best. They are:
1. Collar Necklace – the collar style is 14 inches or 36/37 centimetres in length. This type of
necklace suits open neck tops, such as scoop, V or boatnecks and sits tightly around your
2. Choker Necklace – 16 inches or 40cm long, the choker sits tightly against the base of your
throat and can be worn with anything.
3. Princess Necklace – measuring 17-20 inches or 45-50cm in length, the princess suits crew or
high necklines and sits on your collarbone. Our PeaPods have princess length chains.
4. Matinee Necklace – between 20-27 inches or 56-69cm, the matinee length necklace sits
between the collarbone and the bust. It works with both formal and casual clothing.
5. Opera Necklace – the opera style necklace measures between 28-36 inches or 71-91cm long.
It falls all the way to your breastbone and suits eveningwear and high necklines.
6. Rope Necklace – measuring between 36-42 inches or 100cm or longer. It is usually worn
doubled over and sits below the centre of your bust. The rope necklace suits formal and
evening wear clothing.
How Long Are Women’s Bracelets?
Bracelets for women generally come in three sizes: small, medium and large. You chose the size
depending on the size of your wrist. The average size is 7.5 inches or 19 cm. The lengths for the
three main sizes are:
Small – 6 inches or 15cm
Medium – 6.5-7 inches or 17cm
Large – 7.5 inches or 18cm
How to Choose the Right Length Necklace or Bracelet
We’ve written a short article on how to choose the right size bracelet, which I suggest you take a
look at before ordering. In general terms, it needs to be long enough to move freely, but not too
large that it slides off.
To choose the right size necklace, there are several factors to take into consideration. Your clothing
type, where you want to wear it to and the effect you would like to achieve. Your neck size will play
a role for both the collar and choker sizes, as will your preferences for close fitting jewellery around
We have many beautiful NZ made women’s bracelets and necklaces available in our online jewellery
shop. I’d love you to take a look!