Christening Gifts They’ll Love from the Start!!!
Whoever said buying christening gifts was easy, was a total liar! First of all, are you buying a
christening, a baptism or a naming ceremony gift? What’s the difference between all of those and
are you expected to give a present to the parents too? Today we’re going to dive into the world of
christenings once and for all…
Christenings, Baptisms and Naming Ceremonies 101
First up, let’s find out what each one actually is:
- Christening – a christening is a (mostly) religious ceremony where the baby or infant is given
a name during a church service.
- Baptism – a religious sacrament where the baby and in some cases adults, are claimed for
the church and God. Holy water is either poured over their forehead or in some religions
they are submerged into it.
- Naming ceremony – a non-religious ceremony where the baby is given a name in front of
The phrases christenings, baptisms and naming ceremonies are used interchangeably nowadays for
the most part. What doesn’t normally alter is that the baby wears a long white gown for this special
day, with parents, godparents, family and friends all attending the event.
Traditional Christening Gifts
For absolute donkeys’ years, newly christened babies have been given a gift to mark this special
occasion. Have you heard the phrase, ‘born with a silver spoon in their mouth?’ and wondered
where it came from? Christenings as a matter of fact, because silver spoons engraved with the name
of the baby are a traditional christening gift. Along with silver spoons, silver jewellery, silver bowls
and cups and silver money boxes are other traditional gifts. Interestingly enough, they were always
engraved with the infant’s name because these ceremonies focused on giving the new child a name.
Today many people still carry on the tradition of giving a christening present which is engraved with
the baby’s name. In fact, we’ve got the perfect gifts right here for you!
- Sterling Silver Personalised Bracelet – a custom made and hand stamped bracelet makes the
perfect gift for both boys and girls!
- Sterling Silver Precious Dates Heart – capture baby’s name and either birthdate or
christening date on an adorable heart shaped washer.
- Four Sided Swivel Pendant – have each side custom engraved to help baby and their parents
mark their christening day.
- Silver Fingerprint Charm – capture an older baby’s tiny fingerprint forever with a silver
fingerprint charm. These are quite small, so fit beautifully on a Pandora type bracelet.
When giving your gift, keep it tucked away until after the ceremony. If the parents are holding a
party afterwards, that would be a great time to give it to them. Otherwise when you leave the
ceremony itself, offer your congratulations and pass your wrapped gift over.